Sunday, May 06, 2007

Living with Chinese

Last 2 months in our flat lived also 5 Chinese. The flat has 3 more rooms excepting ours, 4 girls are sharing 2 rooms and a guy is staying in the last one.

They are from Macao, and they are Erasmus students, staying until June. From the beginning we noticed that they are acting very... different. They look different, they act different than Europeans, their communication style is the Asian one (I talk, you listen, pause. You talk, I listen, pause. And so on...). Because of that we thought that they are some... retards. But it wasn't so, we saw that after we managed to understand them.


What they did different than us was... their dinner. They invited every evening their friends at the dinner, so it happened that we had in the flat in one evening 14 people. They were cooking many hours and they used the kitchen very much. They were so many of them ... like bugs.


Almost all of them are really really nice and polite, except one girl which didn't even say "Hallo" back when we said it. I was joking with Diana, saying that she has a big carrot in her ass. The rest of the guys were ok, they showed us some words and signs in Chinese (Cantonese). My name in Cantonese is spelling Owaitou and in Mandarin is Owaitau.


And this one is for Todomondo band :), just in case they want to make a remix with Chinese lyrics as well: "ou 'ngoi sei"=I love you.


Anyway, it was an interesting experience to live with people from a different culture. It made me realize that people have different values, according to their culture also and if I want to understand them, I have to know their guiding values first. I will remember their dinners, karaoke evenings and their way of learning Portuguese, a kind of Portuguese with Chinese accent.

Also their English with Chinese accent is interesting (Yu luk spot= You are dressed sport). Oh yes… and I will never forget their “Good bye!”.

It's “Papaai!” :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home